The electrician came during the week and got my Sequence 9700 pump up and running. Initially the water began to clear, but because I was running two much smaller pumps, I think I had an algae clog in the end of my grow bed piping because the bed wasn’t filling very fast and the pond continued with its wonderful shade of green. I realized it was clogged and was able to clear it with a change in the pressure and water flow. Now the pond is cycling quite well and I am hopeful that over the next 48 to 72 hours it will begin to clear up so we can see the Koi.
The ducks are loving the pond and have been fun to watch, but they keep eating my plants.
Listening to the sound of the water and the quack of the ducks is really one of the most relaxing things I’ve found to do while sitting on my porch on a Sunday afternoon.
So, now as the water cycles and begins to balance itself, the next step is to finish bringing in the boulders, rock and landscape the perimeter of the pond.
The project that I thought would only take two to three months is now on month eight. But I have learned a great deal and lost a few pounds in the process. Here are the pictures of further progress since the liner and stones have been placed. I am still waiting for additional stone to fill in the gaps.
I placed the liner and after a rain storm and irrigation lifted the liner and rock in the base, I decided filling it would hold it in place much more effectively.
Bottom drain bubbler was inserted and the water filling began.
I put pea gravel into the grow bed and bog areas and while waiting for the electrician to finish the wiring on my big pump, I temporarily inset my small aquaponics pumps into the swirl tank and skimmer to get the water moving.
The ducks love it. So do the dogs.
I found some water lillies and horsetail at Home Depot and added them to the grow beds to get things started.
I’ve included video below explaining how the pond works. Little by little it is getting completed.
Had some time last week.
Took time to shore up the walls, smooth out the rough areas, and level the bottom.
I pulled out the underlay material and my son and I lined the pond bottom in preparation for the rubber liner.
Prepped the bottom drain to make it easy to attach the liner by taping over the screw holes ahead of time. . . learned this little trick from The Pond Digger (Thanks Eric Triplett!!)
I called up my family and coaxed them over to the house to roll out the 700lb liner . . . Stay tuned for the moment of truth.
I’ve been working on this pond now for the last four months. Little by little it is taking shape. I never realized it would take this long, but I have learned a great deal about pre-pond design, making walls, plumbing and filtration.
I placed my bottom drain, swirl filter, skimmer and found a large water trough to use at the top of the waterfall. The swirl filter was designed by cutting the top off a 55 gallon barrel below.
Once the filter was placed, I filled in the area and this is what it looks like from the top.
With these pieces in place, walls have been shored up and the waterfall base has been built. You can see the skimmer in the center of the image. I was impressed with the Helix Skimmer from The Pond Digger. I got my bottom drain plumbed, concreted in and smoothed out. You can just see it (bottom drain) at the base of pond (I’ve got it covered with a piece of underlayment.)
I decided on the Koi Toilet from The Pond Outlet and I’m hoping that the 4″ drain will accommodate for the ducks.
The The Pond Outlet has a much better image of this bottom drain that I included below:
I’ve reinforced the waterfall base with cinder block and used a 100 gallon water trough as the waterfall collection tank. this way I can plant some plants in the top of the trough that will further hide the waterfall.
So, the next step is to begin laying the underlayment to protect the liner from holes. Stay tuned . . .
The aquaponics Koi pond is progressing . . . slowly. I could get so much more done if people didn’t get sick and have to be seen. Although, I’d be out of a job.
I coaxed my son into helping me with the concrete. We placed and poured the concrete into the retaining wall. I started pre-setting the cinder-block for the waterfall and the grow bed.
We used re-bar and concrete and it worked quite nicely. The boss was pleased.
Because we have ducks, I am afraid there will be no way to keep them out of the pond, so I need to add a swirl filter for the heavy waste that will come out of the bottom drain. I did a great deal of reading and I think a simple design like this one from http://koi-bito.com will work.
I dug the swirl filter location out yesterday and purchased a nice new 55 gallon drum and have my hole saw at the ready.
The dogs have been helping as much as they can. They are on 24/7 gopher duty. They’ve also been helping to keep my level floor less than level by digging holes and burring bones while I’m at work.
Next step is to place the swirl filter and the skimmer and set the water level.
Who knows, maybe I’ll have my liner in by next week. We’ll see. Have a great weekend.