We had three little chicks born overnight. Mother hen has been roosting for the last month and three of them hatched today. Quite beautiful little chicks . . . if I do say so. What do you think?
In paths untrodden,
In the growth by margins of pond-waters,
Escaped from the life that exhibits itself,
From all the standards hitherto publish’d—from the pleasures, profits, eruditions, conformities,
Which too long I was offering to feed my soul;
Clear to me, now, standards not yet publish’d—clear to me that my Soul,
That the Soul of the man I speak for, feeds, rejoices most in comrades;
Here, by myself, away from the clank of the world,
Tallying and talk’d to here by tongues aromatic,
No longer abash’d—for in this secluded spot I can respond as I would not dare elsewhere,
Strong upon me the life that does not exhibit itself, yet contains all the rest,
Resolv’d to sing no songs to-day but those of manly attachment,
Projecting them along that substantial life,
Bequeathing, hence, types of athletic love,
Afternoon, this delicious
Ninth-month, in my forty-first year,
I proceed, for all who are, or have been, young men,
To tell the secret of my nights and days,
To celebrate the need of comrades.
Had a little time yesterday to work on the second grow bed. Placed an 8×16 foot liner in the grow bed area that sits a foot above the pond. After leveling it out and dropping the liner, I transferred my 1″ siphone over and plugged it in. I filled the grow bed with water and then brought in my gravel. You can see the finished images below.
As you can see, the algae bloom is cleared up and the pond is doing fantastic. You can almost see the bottom of the pond clearly now. We’ve had a couple of bull frogs join us and they love to sing bull frog at night. . . . It drives the dogs nuts.
The electrician came during the week and got my Sequence 9700 pump up and running. Initially the water began to clear, but because I was running two much smaller pumps, I think I had an algae clog in the end of my grow bed piping because the bed wasn’t filling very fast and the pond continued with its wonderful shade of green. I realized it was clogged and was able to clear it with a change in the pressure and water flow. Now the pond is cycling quite well and I am hopeful that over the next 48 to 72 hours it will begin to clear up so we can see the Koi.
The ducks are loving the pond and have been fun to watch, but they keep eating my plants.
Listening to the sound of the water and the quack of the ducks is really one of the most relaxing things I’ve found to do while sitting on my porch on a Sunday afternoon.
So, now as the water cycles and begins to balance itself, the next step is to finish bringing in the boulders, rock and landscape the perimeter of the pond.
The project that I thought would only take two to three months is now on month eight. But I have learned a great deal and lost a few pounds in the process. Here are the pictures of further progress since the liner and stones have been placed. I am still waiting for additional stone to fill in the gaps.
Bottom drain bubbler was inserted and the water filling began.
I put pea gravel into the grow bed and bog areas and while waiting for the electrician to finish the wiring on my big pump, I temporarily inset my small aquaponics pumps into the swirl tank and skimmer to get the water moving.
The ducks love it. So do the dogs.