The project that I thought would only take two to three months is now on month eight. But I have learned a great deal and lost a few pounds in the process. Here are the pictures of further progress since the liner and stones have been placed. I am still waiting for additional stone to fill in the gaps.
I placed the liner and after a rain storm and irrigation lifted the liner and rock in the base, I decided filling it would hold it in place much more effectively.
Bottom drain bubbler was inserted and the water filling began.
I put pea gravel into the grow bed and bog areas and while waiting for the electrician to finish the wiring on my big pump, I temporarily inset my small aquaponics pumps into the swirl tank and skimmer to get the water moving.
The ducks love it. So do the dogs.
I found some water lillies and horsetail at Home Depot and added them to the grow beds to get things started.
I’ve included video below explaining how the pond works. Little by little it is getting completed.
I’ve been working on this pond now for the last four months. Little by little it is taking shape. I never realized it would take this long, but I have learned a great deal about pre-pond design, making walls, plumbing and filtration.
I placed my bottom drain, swirl filter, skimmer and found a large water trough to use at the top of the waterfall. The swirl filter was designed by cutting the top off a 55 gallon barrel below.
Once the filter was placed, I filled in the area and this is what it looks like from the top.
With these pieces in place, walls have been shored up and the waterfall base has been built. You can see the skimmer in the center of the image. I was impressed with the Helix Skimmer from The Pond Digger. I got my bottom drain plumbed, concreted in and smoothed out. You can just see it (bottom drain) at the base of pond (I’ve got it covered with a piece of underlayment.)
I decided on the Koi Toilet from The Pond Outlet and I’m hoping that the 4″ drain will accommodate for the ducks.
The The Pond Outlet has a much better image of this bottom drain that I included below:
I’ve reinforced the waterfall base with cinder block and used a 100 gallon water trough as the waterfall collection tank. this way I can plant some plants in the top of the trough that will further hide the waterfall.
So, the next step is to begin laying the underlayment to protect the liner from holes. Stay tuned . . .